question

Jeremiah Landi avatar image
Jeremiah Landi asked

Way to get two 110v outputs from single inverter/converter from battery power?

PROBLEM:

I am trying to run a Level 2 car charger off my battery bank; I am currently running a Level 1 off my battery bank using the MultiPlus Compact 24v|2000VA|50A which works fine.

RESEARCH:

I was looking at the Victron Energy Quattro line of Inverter/Converters; I noticed that Victron makes an Inverter/Converter that can output 208+ as long as both the L1 & L2 are plugged in.

When the battery is the only supply voltage it then chops the voltage down to 110-120v. After reviewing this diagram (https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/AT-3-split-phase-120V-to-120-240V-with-Quattro-120V.pdf) and talking to Nothern Arizona Wind & Sun it sounds like I would have to buy an autotransformer in addition to the Quattro.

QUESTION(S):

- Does this sound like the right approach?

- Does Victron have a device that outputs two phases of 110-115v to form 220v or not?

Thank you for any help!

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargervictron productsAutotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

Yes, an Autoformer is what you are looking for. To go from 120 to 120/240 split-phase.

I would not recommend going from 120 to 240 tho as the currents are doubled, it is way better to start with 240 and use the auto transformer to create the L1-N-L2. Then the current in the autotransformer is only the imbalance between phases which can be very small.

Right approach is ether 2 inverters configured in split phase or 1 240V inverter with an autotransformer. Multiplus-II is cheaper if you don't need genny input. But Quattro and Multiplus are available in 240v versions.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.