question

The dude avatar image
The dude asked

Installation of orion tr dc-dc charger for Lithium

I'm installing lithium batteries to replace the house batteries, can some explain the following:-

Picture attached.

1) how do I install the Orion-Tr smart dc-dc to charge the lithium house batteries only?

2) Should I use isolated or non-isolated?

3) if I should disconnect the positive from the Diode (terminal 2), should just remove the diode?

4) the alternator field wire (dotted) connect to starter constant 12v, rather than the house battery constant?

cheers

Kerensa electrical diagram.pdf

Lithium Batteryorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

1|) Connect the Orion to the -ve busbar (-ve) and common of the 2 HRC fuses/ Battery positive.

2) Yes use isolated - what is your DC source?

3) Why would you want to do this? It would not be necessary.

4) Using the alternator sense on the house battery will tend to prioritise the charge on this battery, and keep it from overcharge. House bank would tend to run lower than the starter battery, so the alternator will work harder to charge - the lower house voltage will take more current through the diode splitter, then as the voltage rises on the house, the starter battery will start to be charged. This would be the normal way to connect this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.