question

nicholas-zenzele avatar image
nicholas-zenzele asked

Can i use a 3 phase meter with 1 phase inverter

Some electrical installations in South Africa are 3 phase 400V. The client still wants to keep his 3 phase power and only wants to install a single phase solar system on 1 phase for his critical loads. he will move all his critical loads to that particular phase.

Will the system not get confused if I install a 3 phase meter but use a single phase inverter?

So basically the 3 phase meter would there to see what all the 3 phases consume however only 1 phase will be able to feedback to non essential loads (ESS self consumption), as he cant do phase compensation or feedback into the grid.

ESSEnergy Meter3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·

Yes, you can. It is ideal to use it on L1. I'm in the same situation: I have a 3 phase grid, but the PV system is a single phase. What I did in addition, was to install between the grid and the PV system, a phase selector, so I always use the phase that is in the parameters.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

beerygaz avatar image
beerygaz answered ·

I'm in the same situation. Can you elaborate a little on the phase selector please?

2 |3000