question

bmuenst avatar image
bmuenst asked

Resolved: Firmware update of battery mgmt controller IP22 failed

I tried to update the firmware of the IP22 24/48 V battery mgmt controller with the VictronConnect app. I think the update failed.
Now when I try to switch on the system the status LED is continuously flashing red and nothing happens.

In VictronConnect I cannot see the IP22 anymore… :-(

What can I do?

VictronConnectfirmware update
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

What device do you have exactly? I'm not sure what a "mgmt" is.

0 Likes 0 ·
bmuenst avatar image bmuenst Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Thanks, Matthias! I have the IP22, a MG BMS which shows in VictronConnect as "Lynx ION BMS 1000 A" connected to 3 MG batteries with each 300 Ah. I tried a hundred times today to get it going again. At some point, all of a sudden, the BMS showed up in VictronConnect again and reported "no firmware installed", hence I updated to the newest version available (1.25 in that case) with success. After a complete final reboot the system seems to work fine again...
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
jfackrell avatar image
jfackrell answered ·

Had the same thing happen. Getting the firmware to update is a terrible experience. I've had to do it twice now. Victron needs to fix this. I tried several times and it would get to a certain % then stop and fail. After 7 or 8 tries, VictronConnect could no longer see the IP22. I ended up unplugging it for about a minute, exiting the app, and force closing it as a background app. It still didn't show, but when I did the same thing + reboot my cell phone, it finally showed up again. It will eventually update the firmware, but it took another 15 to 20 tries for it finally get to 100%. I ended up with a second problem following the update. It might just be a faulty unit for me, but the charger kept skipping the bulk charge mode and went straight into absorption. I found that even when it wasn't connected to a battery, it would act as if it was sensing voltage and go straight to absorption. I had to send it back and I have another on order. Hopefully, it wasn't the firmware and it was just a faulty device. I like the app when it works and all of my other Victron hardware works great, so it would be a shame if this charger is prone to issues like this going forward. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bmuenst avatar image bmuenst commented ·
Thanks! I tried to follow a very similar approach and finally it seems to work again (see above). Thanks and best Björn.
0 Likes 0 ·
eric-edwards avatar image eric-edwards bmuenst commented ·
It is clear that this is a fault with the firmware update, it seems to be happening to numerous people.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic