question

olegpowerc avatar image
olegpowerc asked

twin motor boat with two alternator how it use for charge battery

Hello!

I need to know, how I must connect two alternators, charger, and battery.

I have two battery - single starter battery for both engines and single service battery.

I want to use battery isolator (smart relay) for isolate starter battery from service battery but what I must do with alternators? I think I can use simple parallel connection without any diodes.

But may be You can tell me best practice for twin engine boats?

Thank You!

chargeralternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Very much depends on what alternators you have.

Joining both to the service bank may not yield twice the performance as one regulator will slave the other.

Hook up just from one, and consider if the alternator is large enough to supply your needs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

olegpowerc avatar image
olegpowerc answered ·

Thank You for answer.

What You think about split charge? one alternator for starter battery and onther for service battery, but if one is broken we need to combine battery for charge by single alternator.

I make draft circuit, You can understand my idea from it (may be :-))

I make XOR element using two relay but I want to use electronic circuit (MCU+two channel ADC for sense voltage on L terminal from alternators).

I will use two channel AC charger or single channel charger with FET isolator.

blockdiagramm.png

blockdiagramm.png (124.5 KiB)
2 |3000

olegpowerc avatar image
olegpowerc answered ·

blockdiagramm3.png

I change circuit and want use FET isolator instead ACR because I do not like high inrush current when two battary carge is different but we connect it in parallel.
blockdiagramm2.png

draftcircuit3.jpg

draftcircuit3.jpg (83.4 KiB)
blockdiagramm2.png (107.8 KiB)
blockdiagramm3.png (178.0 KiB)
2 |3000

olegpowerc avatar image
olegpowerc answered ·

And one more method.

Using DC chargers like Orion-Tr

I will use remote on-off instead of power relay.

Advantages:

No inrush current when charge two battery from one source.

Good charge all batteries

blockdiagram4.png

draftcircuit4.jpg

draftcircuit4.jpg (89.2 KiB)
blockdiagram4.png (235.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic