question

dcrisp avatar image
dcrisp asked

Gel Battery Storage - use MPPT or Multiplus

I have twelve new 110AH Victron Gel batteries for a 660AH 24V battery bank, I'm keen to look after them carefully! The bank is charged either by solar via a MPPT 100/50 or a Victron Multiplus 24V 3000W 70A.

I am about to store my boat onshore in Greece for the winter (6-7 months). What is the best way to leave my Gel batteries powered with the MPPT or Multiplus? I ask because I note the Multiplus has a storage mode whereas the MPPT does not.

MPPT SmartSolarbatterymultiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@DCrisp

You could always tweak the program for float/storage service instead of cycling service. It is a lower voltage and designed for the scenario you are describing.

The datasheet has the info.
screenshot-20211105-212220.jpg

Then you can leave them connected to either. And use virtual switch to connect to shore if the solar does not keep up. But make sure temp compensation is on and you have a way for them to balance the two strings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic