question

archietri avatar image
archietri asked

Orion TR12/12-18 NOT isolating the start battery

Hi,

I have the Orion TR 12/12-18 DC-DC isolated charger fitted between my (euro 6) start battery and my leisure battery but have flattened the start battery twice now when parked up with the fridge running off my leisure battery so have a couple of questions:-

1, Isn't this charger supposed isolate the start battery from the load (leisure battery) when the vehicle is not running, the way a split charge relay does?

2, Even though it's an isolated version, can it share the vehicle body negative or do I need to run a cable between the battery - terminals and charger?

3, Is there a link for a list of faults and fixes somewhere to save people asking similar questions?

4, When setting it up, what is the ideal voltage output the pot should be set, I think it's pre-set to 12.3v which seems low?

Thanks in advance.

Archie.

victron productsvictron communityvictron
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

1) It was my understanding that you needed to use the Smart version with smart alternators (Euro 5 onwards) but I could be wrong. This has the engine on detection.

2) I'm 99% sure you can bypass the isolated output feature by commoning the negative in/out but again happy to be proved wrong.

3) Searching these forums is you best bet I think.

4) My Orion Smart is set to turn on at 13.3V and turn off at less than 13.1V

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

archietri avatar image
archietri answered ·

Thank you for your reply, I think I will try and exchange for the smart version. The product description was a little vague in this area so bit of a useless product if it only charges another battery without isolating, may as well just wire a leisure battery straight to the vehicle battery and let the ECU work out when it needs the alternator to kick in?!...But then I'm no electronics expert!

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
"Isolated" means that the negatives are not common in the device - they are isolated from each other. You want this isolation if your leisure (lithium) battery's negative is not connected to the cahssis like the start battery is.

The non-smart versions were never designed to be Battery-to-Battery chargers, they are simply DC-DC converters used for providing a higher or lower Voltage supply to what the system Voltage is. E.g. supply 12V for 12V lights or TV from a 24V battery.

For configurable engine on/off detection you need one of the Smart versions which are designed for disconnecting or stopping charge when the start battery is below a certain level.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ArchieTri

I think you misunderstand what the 'isolated' thing means. If you want to turn it off you have to use the 'Remote' terminals wired into the vehicle ignition or to a separate switch. Or just remove the little wire jumper.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Orion-Tr-isolated-DC-DC-converters-EN-FR-NL-ES-IT-DE-.pdf

The default V setting is set conservatively for use as a dc power supply. I raised mine to 13.5V.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic