question

yld avatar image
yld asked

Search Mode for four Multiplus II in parallel + split phase (2+2 configuration)

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing four multiplus II 48/3000/35-50 120v to put in a 2+2 configuration -- 2 parallel unites on each phase of a 240v split phase. I'm primarily going this route over a larger 230v Quattro + autotransformer due to the significantly lower zero load draw (52w for 4x mutiplus II vs 110w for a 15kva Quattro).

With low power consumption in mind, I can't find a clear answer to whether or not parallel / split phase muliplus II units can be configured to go into search mode under zero load conditions. This would bring my standby power draw down to 12w which would be excellent.

I know the manuals state AES mode does not work in a non-standalone configuration, but what about Search mode?

Multiplus-IIbattery chargingmultiplus in parallelsplit phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

AES does not work in grouped systems. Both Modified Sinewave and Search Mode, come under AES so you cannot use any sort in multi unit systems.
AES is only available with a single stand alone unit.

1631466952114.png

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

1631466952114.png (6.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yld avatar image yld commented ·
Thanks @WKirby -- I did see that in the manual, but wasn't aware that Search Mode came in under AES.

Thanks for the clarification.

0 Likes 0 ·
basil katakuzinos avatar image
basil katakuzinos answered ·

Do not think it works either. Can i ask why you require search mode, it is generally not the ideal solution.

1 comment
2 |3000

yld avatar image yld commented ·

I guess I don't require search mode. I'd like to leave the inverter(s) on 24/7, but will only be using them intermittently. As such, the idea of using search mode was to reduce the idle power draw.

In an off-grid / mobile (in a van) solution, the additional 8 watts saved per inverter (x4) equates to about 768wh saved per day, which isn't an insignificant amount of energy.

0 Likes 0 ·