question

handy avatar image
handy asked

Venus GX bluetooth conectivity

Is it or when will it be possible to use Bluetooth connectivity with the Venus GX range?

For example to connection to the Victron Connect Bluetooth app.

Currently the Venus GX range has Wi-Fi support for connection to VRM but is not Bluetooth.

Venus GX - VGXBluetoothVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

UPDATE 2022-1-15

Though we tried real hard, the chipset in the Venus GX that said it has bluetooth really doesn’t work well enough.

So we were never able to make it work.

To add bluetooth functionality to a Venus GX (or a CCGX) see here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/112834/connect-ruuvi-to-ccgx.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

Question: Where is the link to Victron 'smart networking' using Bluetooth?

What is 'Smart Networking': A VE.Smart Network is a wireless network which allows a number of Victron products to exchange information. It is a wireless technology using Bluetooth Smart. This 'network' is aimed at small installations which do not have a Venus-type device - mostly MPPT and BMV.

Here is the link:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:ve-smart-networking

2 |3000

Cory Wikel avatar image
Cory Wikel answered ·

I'd like to pipe in here on BT support on the Venus GX.

Since I'm unable to control the Multiplus invert/charger status with a separate switch due to the GX being plugged in, I have to fall back to WiFi (either direct or local network). Direct WiFi is nice for initial setup but pointless if I want devices with local network and Venus GX access.

That leaves local network WiFi but that's a catch 22. If my WiFi is powered by the inverter and I use the Venus GX to enable Multiplus charger or off mode.... I'll lose access to the Venus GX since my local network WiFi will go down.

Bluetooth seems to be the best solution here. Full control of my Multiplus inverter/charger/off mode without losing access to the Venus GX.

1 comment
2 |3000

rithym1964 avatar image rithym1964 commented ·

Add a small 300W UPS to the 'critical loads' like router, GX, basically anything network related then if the power from the inverter goes down you still have access to make changes via the LAN to restore functionality. This can be very useful when updating firmware where the settings have to be restored like Multiplus II

Works well for me I get a couple hours when on battery UPS and it keeps the whole network accessible

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic