question

imthebatman avatar image
imthebatman asked

Orion 12/12-30 input voltage value frozen?

Hi all!

I have an Orion 12/12-30 installed in a VW T6.1 charging a LiFePo leisure battery. All installed and working perfectly until my last drive. After a few hours of driving I noticed the battery hadn’t been receiving any charge. Message reads Charge disabled due to engine shutdown detection (I’m using the algorithm rather than a engine run signal wire). I can force it to charge by disabling engine shutdown and voltage lockout so the unit does function.

The input voltage figure hasn’t changed from 11.6v after 8 hours of driving. Normally I’d see that figure fluctuate depending on what the smart alternator is doing in relation to driving conditions. Resetting to factory default had no affect. Next now I’m home, I’ll disconnect the unit all together to effectively ‘switch it off and on’ the classic fix!

Just wondering if anyone has come accross a similar issue with the input voltage figure freezing? I’d appreciate any input if you have.

Cheers!

orion-tr smarterror
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bob K avatar image Bob K commented ·

I assume you're looking at the Vin figure on the Bluetooth app, yes?

Probe the input terminal screws on the Orion with your multimeter. That'll tell you what voltage exists on the wires from your alternator/battery and will eliminate any firmware errors. It's at least a place to start for troubleshooting. If you indeed only have 11.6v on the screw terminals while the vehicle is running, then you know that you're problem lies somewhere upstream of the Orion: connections, fuses, breakers, alternator problem, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
imthebatman avatar image
imthebatman answered ·

Hi again.

Thanks for the reply @Bob K

Voltage at the screw terminals was same as at the starter battery give or take at 12.6v. So the frozen 11.6v figure in the app was indeed incorrect. Disconnected/reconnected the starter battery negative and all is back to normal.

Bit of a faff just for a ‘switch it off and on again’ fix. Resetting the u it to factory settings didn’t help. I may wire in a switch of some sort if it happens again.

Cheers All!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bob K avatar image
Bob K answered ·

I believe the Victron install instructions call for a fuse or circuit breaker where the charger positive cable is connected to the starter batt or alternator. Pulling the fuse or manually tripping the circuit breaker would cut power to the charger. Here's the circuit breaker I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T354FR4

1 comment
2 |3000

shea avatar image shea commented ·
Personally I would not use audio grade breakers in an ESS. Bussman / BlueSea.

0 Likes 0 ·
imthebatman avatar image
imthebatman answered ·

Yeah my positive from the starter battery is fused to spec, but on my Transporter t6.1, it’s located in a fuse box underneath the the battery. Quite some effort involved in accessing it, hence just disconnect the starter battery negative.

Been away in the van for a few days since and no issues. More trips next week so we’ll see how it goes.

I don’t tend to fiddle with settings once it’s set up so not sure what would cause the lock up. But appreciate with software, these things can happen. Maybe an operating system reboot button in the app would be a helpful thing for Victron to add for these devices?

2 |3000

zigzag avatar image
zigzag answered ·

Hi, the same has just happened to me. The victron was displaying the input voltage at 12.9v and happily charging the lithium battery with 30a even when the engine had stopped, if I hadn't noticed would have killed the start battery.. Same fix turn and off again... It's a bit worrying...

2 |3000