question

pmolettiere avatar image
pmolettiere asked

ve.bus BMS terminal trouble

The charge disconnect / load disconnect terminal row on the ve.bus BMS seems super janky to me. Even using ferrules, the release tabs are super hard to press since they're nearly entirely covered by the plastic cover. It's very easy to get the tabs to latch under other components, like the nearby LEDs, which prevents them from popping back up and holding the inserted ferrule firmly, resulting in intermittent loss of connection. On charge or load disconnect, this can completely disable loads or charging.

Does anyone have tips on using this connector in a way that's reliable? Is there a special tool for inserting ferrules? What am I missing here?

Why did Victron cheap out on this connector, rather than use the normal screw terminal adapter blocks on pretty much every other product?

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Yes, this connectors are tricky sometimes.
I use them without ferrules and this is working pretty good.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drlbradley avatar image
drlbradley answered ·

same here - I removed the ferrules and used a watchmakers(v small) screwdriver to depress the tabs

2 |3000

pmolettiere avatar image
pmolettiere answered ·

Answering my own question here, in the hope that this may help someone else down the line. Ferrules don't slide into the BMS port very well, and I'm loathe to just jam twisted wire up into them. I ended up buying special crimp on pin connectors via Amazon, which are both longer than ferrules, and a tiny bit narrower, and that resolved my issue. PKYS.com sells them, and you can find them on Amazon.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic