question

brbrv avatar image
brbrv asked

Victron BMV-712 Never Displays 98% When 100% SOC

We have three LiFePO batteries and solar. When the batteries hit 14.6+ volts and the solar controller cuts or reduces the intake from the panels, our Victron app never displays 100% SOC. The most it will display is 98%. How can we adjust the SOC to read 100% when the batts are full?

BMV Battery MonitorSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Have you had a look at this video? The lady explains how to set up the synchronisation parameters of the BMV for lithium battery systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJ_vzB2avE

If you know that your batteries are actually full, then you can press the synchronise button at the bottom of the "Battery" settings page from within the Victron Connect app.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brbrv avatar image
brbrv answered ·

Thank you for the response. I watched the video and manually synced the BMV SOC to 100% upon completing bulk charging while on shore power last night. I've hit the 14.6v max on my batts via solar everyday since it's been installed and thought that the Victron BMV autosyncs when the batts are full. Did I get this wrong?

2 |3000

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

It will only sync when the voltage is above the threshold set AND the charge current flowing into the battery is below the tail thresold set AND this is maintained for the duration of the time condition set.

So to see/understand what's going on you really need to monitor both instantaneous voltage & charge current during the end of the charging - then compare to your existing settings.

You may need to tweek one or more of the settings to find the right balance between having sync events actually occur but only occur when the battery is 'truly' 100% full.

Another posibilty is that there is not enough PV power available so the batteries are really never 100% full.

It can be a little more tricky to find the best settings with solar...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page