question

enodev avatar image
enodev asked

VE.Bus BMS Mains Detector - when is it really needed?

Hi guys,

I have upgraded an exiting system with 2xLiFePo4 12V/100Ah, Phoenix Smart Charger 30A, and VE.Bus BMS by replacing a the Smart Charger with Multiplus 12/1600/70.

Because the existing system was wired without the VE.Bus BMS mains detector, and because the main detector can apparently be purchased only as part of full VE.Bus BMS package, I am trying to understand what exactly are the cases where the mains detector is needed.

From the VE.BMS and Multiplus documentation I understood that when the BMS disconnects the battery, and disables the Multiplus due to low voltage alarm, the charging will not restart automatically when AC is plugged in.

Yet when I tested this now twice, by slowly discharging the batteries until BMS disconnects them, and then plugging in the external AC, the Multiplus always started charging after several seconds automatically.

Could you please elaborate what exactly is the mains detector for? And whether I really must install it and buy a new VE.Bus BMS package?

Or alternatively, anybody who has one lying around for sale?

thanks,

Martin

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerLithium Batteryve.bus bms
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Do you have the "old" MultiPlus Compact in aluminum case or the new one with plastic/steel case?

0 Likes 0 ·
enodev avatar image enodev Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
The new one.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
enodev avatar image
enodev answered ·

I believe it is the new model purchased here: https://eshop.neosolar.cz/menic-nabijec-victron-energy-multiplus-12v-1600va-70a-16a.. Not the old Compact. @Matthias Lange - DE any insight? Thanks!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

laurmtb avatar image laurmtb commented ·

I came across this 1yo post and I just found this in the BMS V2 manual. The new style MultiPlus don't need the mains detector, I guess it's built in. I thinks this is valid also for BMS V1.

1672347329133.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1672347329133.png (147.3 KiB)
enodev avatar image
enodev answered ·

@laurMTB I did upgrade to VE.BUS BMS v2 and after re-reading the manual, I do understand it the same way as you. That is: Mains Detector is required for older Multiplus units, but is no longer required for new style Multiplus models...

2 |3000