question

Anthony avatar image
Anthony asked

easysolar 24/1600/40 earth leakage trip

Hello people,

I've been assigned a job to sort out a newish installation of an easysolar into a shipping container based recreational facility. A shack next to the river with enough power to keep the beer cold basically.

At first blush everything seems to be installed nicely by licensed trades, however I'm told there was one cable for a light circuit that had been shorted with a roofing screw, and that has now been fixed.

My real concern is that when connected to a (Honda EU20 inverter type) generator the easysolar appears to synchronise, but as soon as it changes to "charge" mode and loads the generator up to put some energy into the batteries, the output RCD trips.

It functions fine as a battery inverter running the loads in the downstream switchboard, but when there is "shore power" available from the floating neutral Honda, the contactor clicks in the easysolar and the RCD throws in the towel.

Others have built, commissioned and tried to diagnose this problem before me. There is no earth stake for the "portable" building and no MEN link to join the earth and neutral bars in the switchboard.

I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced this problem before and if I can't find a definite earth leakage problem, is the only option to disable the earth relay in the easysolar? Do you have any ideas @guy stewart?

Cheers for your help

Earnest

MPPT ControllersGeneratorEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

My guess is that due to the sort circuit the contacts of the internal ground relay are welded together.
That will cause the input RCD will trip as soon as the Easy switches over. Normally the ground relay would open in that moment.

There is not much you can do in that case.
You could try to open the Easy, locate the ground relay on the PCB and give it some gently hits to loosen the contacts.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.