vast asked

No VRM instance for a second SmartSolar charger

My system is:

- Quattro 8000

- Venus GX

- Smart BMV712

- SmartSolar 250/100

- SmartSolar 250/100 VE.Can

First MPPT charger, and BMV712 are connected to Venus GX by cable VE.Direct and everyone have an independent VRM instance. The second MPPT charger is connected to Venus by VE.Can, but don't have VRM instance.

Also, on mobile VictronConnect app, I can see the both chargers only on Local section. If I try on VRM-> Venus ->Devices, the second charger (VE.Can) is not visible.

If I try to connect the second charger on Venus via VE.Direct cable instead of VE.Can, I have an VRM instance for it and all are OK.

What can I do to solve this issue?

VRM
vrm.jpg (44.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Did you enable the VE.Can port in the Venus GX? What are the settings for this?
Are you using a fully wired 568B or 568A manufactured cable for the VE.Can connection?
Did you install the Canbus terminators at each end?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vast avatar image
vast answered ·

1. Did you enable the VE.Can port in the Venus GX? What are the settings for this?

Yes, I enable VE.Can port in the Venus GX.

2. Are you using a fully wired 568B or 568A manufactured cable for the VE.Can connection?

I use a simple ethernet cable RJ45 connectors.

3. Did you install the Canbus terminators at each end?

Yes, I install Canbus terminators on both sides (charger and Venus).

1.jpg (51.2 KiB)
2.jpg (22.5 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

So, the VE.Can charger is VALE?
Which firmware version is it on?

0 Likes 0 ·
vast avatar image vast wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

BMV-712 and first charger named DEAL (Hill) are connected by VE.Direct cables.

The second charger named VALE (Valey) is connected by VE.Can.

All the components have the latest firmwares.

0 Likes 0 ·
3.jpg (22.8 KiB)
4.jpg (82.8 KiB)
vast avatar image vast vast commented ·

See also this

0 Likes 0 ·
5.jpg (44.2 KiB)
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It took me a while to understand, I'm sorry. I got confused because I could see the device in the device list on VRM web.
Solarchargers which are connected with VE.Can do not show in the VRM App. remotely, only local. As you have discovered, it does show if using VE.Direct.

See section 10.2 VictrinConnect Remote Compatability:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#victonconnect-remote_vc-r_configuration_and_monitoring_via_vrm

1 comment
2 |3000

vast avatar image vast commented ·

In this case, I think I can solve the issue by using VE.Direct to USB cables and USB hub.

Thank you very much for help.

0 Likes 0 ·
vast avatar image
vast answered ·

I have one more question:

From manual - CAN bus interface: "The CAN bus on this charger is not galvanically isolated. The CAN bus is referenced to the minus battery connection. The CAN bus interface will be referenced to ground if the minus pole of the battery is grounded."

My house is fully off-grid. Do I need to connect minus pole of battery to the ground?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic