question

hummingbear avatar image
hummingbear asked

Victron SmartShunt - Calculating battery degradation

I just ordered the SmartShunt from Victron and will be installing it in a few days. The system I'm installing it on is one I inherited when I moved into my off-grid house. The Flooded Lead-Acid batteries are about 6-years old.

One thing I'm curious about is being able to understand the degradation of these batteries. In the Victron app I will enter the Ah (1020@c20) of my system. Once fully charged and sync'd with the BMV I'll be able to see projected Ah available, battery percent...etc.

The batteries are rated at 1020ah @ c20, but because they're 6+ years old they most likely don't have the same capacity. Is the monitoring app going to give me some kind of way to see that, or does it "learn" how much capacity is actually in the batteries by correlating Ah drawn and comparing it to current voltage?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

monitoringbattery capacity
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

It does not learn. You have to set the Ah in the battery based on your foreknowledge of the capacity.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic