question

der-wu avatar image
der-wu asked

MPPT 75/10 75/15 and BatteryLife and external chargers

I have MPPT solar chargers with the BatteryLife Option. I wonder how the behavior is with an external charger parallel to the solar charger.

What is maximum voltage on battery output of the MPPTs?

Is there any danger of overcharging the battery?

For example because the time for absorption charging is too long when I charge with the external charger..

Thanks for any answers

battery chargingcharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

The MPPT if it is set correctly for you battery bank will not over charge your batteries. The charge controllers you have mentioned are designed for 12V/24V systems.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Blue-Solar-Charge-Controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15-&-MPPT-100-20-EN-.pdf

The MPPT will choose what stage the battery charge cycle is - bulk - absorption - float based on what it is reading from the battery and what it is able to provide from PV. An external charger if it is not regulated or smart, may provide an elevated voltage reading and that could cause issues.

You do not mention whether the external charger is a smart one and if it uses mains supply. If they are both smart chargers than theoretically the batteries will not be overcharged.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic