question

mikehoyt avatar image
mikehoyt asked

Installing Smart Shunt and Pass thru sine wave inverter

I have an RV with 12 volt system comprising 12 6 volt 220 AH flooded 6v batteries in series, Victron 75/15 mppt controller with 200 watt panel and am adding the Smart Shunt 500 and a 1000 watt sine wave inverter with integrated auto transfer switch. Only for occasionally running TV or computer etc...

I understand that the negative battery side of shunt attaches directly to battery - pole. Normally what had been connected to the negative battery pole now connects to the shunt negative load.

When an inverter is also installed does the negative from the inverter connect to the shunt negative load as well or to the negative battery pole? I am thinking to the shunt if we wish to see the load the inverter draws from the battery

I believe this is a pretty simple setup and that I change nothing with the solar controller wiring.

Thank You

Mike

Halifax, Canada

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

As stated above, here is a handy diagram

why-is-my-shunt-misreading.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

flugs avatar image
flugs answered ·

Salut, as far as I know the inverter must be connected like any other load after the shunt. Otherwise the shunt cannot track what is going into and outof the batterie(s). The passthrough is only when shore power is connected, so independent from the DC load.

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

You also need to move your chassis ground from the battery negative to the shunt "load" side, and your MPPT negative from the battery negative to the shunt "load" side. There must be absolutely nothing connected to the battery bank negative except the "battery" side of the shunt, all load and charger negatives move to the "load" side of the shunt, as detailed in the user and installation manual of the battery monitor.

2 |3000