question

jeffsrichards avatar image
jeffsrichards asked

Voltage input too high (17+volt) into victron Orion

Yesterday I upgraded my system from a regular Deep Cycle 2 battery system to a single 12v lithium battery set up with a new victron orion battery.

I currently only have one solar panel on roof as the input and for some reason I am getting over 17v on input.

In the victron app it says "charge is disabled." but doesn't give a reason below. I am assuming it is because my input voltage is about the 17v threshold.

I will be honest, I am no expert with this stuff. I am really curious why my input voltage would be so high. This solar system into a renogy wanderer controller seemed to work okay with my deep cycle batteries before.

Thank you in advance for any help or insight!

-Jeff

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

You're not running your solar panel into the Orion, are you? The Orion range of products aren't solar controllers, so -if you are- that would be why it's not working.

I'd say you need an MPPT like the SmartSolar 75/15 solar controller except that your reported voltage of 17v isn't high enough above battery voltage to start the MPPT, so if that's really all you have then you'd actually want a PWM controller.

I'd suggest either spending some time in the user manuals and other resources available for the various Victron products and working out your system design from there or alternatively get in touch with an experienced systems installer in your area to get you pointed in the right direction!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources