question

adrianc avatar image
adrianc asked

Multiplus II failure

After only 6 weeks my 5kVA Multiplus II has failed!!! My installer has taken the faulty unit into the distributor who has submitted all the warranty info. The disappointing thing is the time this all takes and so far I have no idea when a replacement will be coming. It is kind of critical when you are relying on power. Can this process be streamlined, maybe have a swap out or something similar?

Also, I have heard that the Multiplus II is not as reliable as the Mulitplus. Is this true?

victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

Hi,

Having had to submit Victron inverter that I damaged, it depends on the supplier if they:
a) have the ability to repair.
b) stock on hand to replace.

The Multiplus II is as reliable as any models before it, in my experience.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jaco

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@AdrianC I have two of MP II on separate sites and both are going strong. One ESS and the other off grid. "I have heard" is rather vague and will be best served with specific examples if you have, as without actual facts, you cannot determine root causes.

2 |3000

adrianc avatar image
adrianc answered ·

Since my post, I have received the replacement unit and it is working great and so far is stable. The whole process from failure to reinstallation took 12 days with most of the time being the process of obtaining a warranty unit (for some reason they could not give me one from stock). Does not seem too long typing now, but when you have no power it is.

I have not been told exactly what failed but a few of the internal components were melted.

Looking back at logs an intermittent temperature warning started occurring 3 weeks prior to the failure. I also noticed that the power was fluctuating significantly when charging the battery from the Multiplus II internal charger. The new unit has had no temperature alarms and the charger power is steady. These were obviously indications that something was starting to go wrong. I have set up a notification for any temperature warning so that I will know straight away if there are any issues starting to arise.

I am pleased to hear that others have had good experiences with the Multiplus II and I look forward to many years of power through my Multiplus II.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic