question

tonykav avatar image
tonykav asked

Lynx shunt connected in reverse.

Hi, i have commissioned a system with 3 mppt solar controllers connected to a colur controller, the system also has a multi plus charger/ inverter And of course lv loads. I connected a lynx shunt batween the batteries and the load / solar and multi but inadvertantly connected the batteries on the riht hand side of the lynx shunt. There has been suggestions on forums that this will cause wrong SOC. Is that true?Also there have been suggestions that reversing the five wires in the lynx will correct the issue - is that correct?.Its a real big deal to pull out the lynx and recable as it is in a yacht and in a cramped position. There seems to be a number of contradictory posts in the forums. My supplier has been most unhelpfull.Can anyone ( Victron expertise) help. I need a simple solution. Tony

lynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Bottom line is it cannot work properly. SOC is calculated by measuring current into and out of the battery through the shunt. As the current is in the wrong direction, readings based on it are completely false. Even if you decide to live with it, alarms, reporting and anything else needing those readings is wrong.

Sorry.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@tony.kav@bigpond.com

You can have it upside down if the right to left is a needed setup.

But really to prove it to yourself, discharge the battery bank with a load have your gx connected and see if your system is registering a charge or discharge and you will have an answer for sure.

But it will be as kevgermany has mentioned it will calculate backwards and wont function as the customer needs it to.

2 |3000

Dave Lewicki avatar image
Dave Lewicki answered ·

Reversing the 5 wires in the shunt as described elsewhere worked great for me.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/82159/lynx-shunt-vecan-installation-and-wiring.html

2 comments
2 |3000

becoming-offgrid avatar image becoming-offgrid commented ·

I ended up here because I was searching for the same answer. Reversing the 5 wires seems to be working so far.

1000000774.jpg

1 Like 1 ·
1000000774.jpg (1.4 MiB)
If you do this please make a note somewhere on the system that this modification has been done (such as a label on the underside of the shunt cover).
1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@tony.kav@bigpond.com

I do not know if this is possible, as i have not tried it. You may be able to take the board out of the shunt and change its orientation? May be a long shot. Chat to your supplier, but if it is possible then its a win win for you.

The direction if the connection would then not need to match the direction of energy flow shown in the manual.

2 |3000

jimf909 avatar image
jimf909 answered ·

FWIW, I swapped the sense wires as suggested and this worked to read the flow in reverse. This corrected the readings from my Lynx that's been installed in reverse (to avoid having exposed hot terminals). This took about 5 minutes to do.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic