question

smanning avatar image
smanning asked

Dual Orion 12-12-30 chargers versus the next XS changer

I just got two Victron Orion-TR Smart 12-12-30 DC to DC that will be wired in parallel, as I have a Ford Transit with two alternators. I see that the new XS charger has arrived, and I would like to know if I should try upgrading. I assume the dual 12-12-30 units will give me about 60 AMP, so I am better off with the dual setup. I have heard that the 12-12-30 units can generate heat, but I have fans.

Am I correct in staying with the dual 12-12-30 units?

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @SManning,

The new Orion XS units are more efficient, so less heat is produced and have higher power output from a smaller unit.

They also have VE.Direct connectivity, which doesn't sound like it's a big advantage in your application.

It's a coin flip. I prefer the form factor of the new units, but that isn't reason enough to change.

It sounds like they aren't installed yet (so still brand new), so I probably personally would try to get the new unit. If they were already installed and working I'd probably just leave it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources