question

roblatour avatar image
roblatour asked

need to understand the flow of power better

So my newly set up Victron system is showing my battery is full, a small AC load, and no output from my solar panels even though it is quite sunny out - and they were working (charged the battery to 100%) just fine earlier today.

What I would have expected is that my solar panels would be providing the power to take care of the demands of the inverter and the small AC load, and that the battery would just be resting at 100%.

However, what appears to be happening from the live reporting is that the battery is providing the power to the AC load, and that nothing is being drawn out of my solar panels.

Here's a screen shot:

ss1.jpg

Am I interpreting this right, is there something I am missing?

power meter
ss1.jpg (36.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It depends on how the system is set up.

With a straightforward system, there needs to be a voltage drop on the battery to restart the charge cycle. This is controlled by the MPPT settings.

With more complex systems with Lithium batteries and a BMS, the BMS can be in control.

If you use the Victron connect app to connect to the MPPT, you'll see a message 'why is the charger off?' (might be slightly different wording), click on this and it will tell you why there's no output. Most likely cause is full batteries.

Which MPPT do you have? There's a software glitch on one model, which is addressed in the latest beta release.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

roblatour avatar image
roblatour answered ·

@kevgermany

Thanks for that.

I have a Victron BlueSolar MPPT 150/35. It is set up to read the value from its rotary switch (which in my case is set to match the fact that I am using a LiFePO4 battery).

Wondering what would happen if I unplugged my AC load and turned off the inverter, I gave it a try. After some time Venus is now reporting as follows:

ss2.jpg

The 5Ws being used relate to the fact that I have a raspberry pi running venus and another raspberry pi running another application - both are connected to the distributor (i.e. powered by the solar panel / battery - not the inverter). Oddly the PV Charger is now showing 5W being transferred when before (when there was a greater load on the system) it was showing zero being transferred.

Does this relate to the bug you are referencing, or perhaps something else?

In any case this view of things is more what I expected, the solar panels are powering the load (albeit a very small one) with no drain being reported from the battery.

ss2.jpg (50.6 KiB)
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The 150/35 is not affected.

Low wattage values can be inaccurate.

If the battery BMS isn't connected to the RPi, and I suspect it isn't, each component will do its best. However by going into the settings for the MPPT in the Venus or using the Victron connect app, you get more control over the charging. Check that the battery settings match those from the battery maker.

2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Your two pictures show the battery voltage as 13.6V in the first case and 13.5V in the second case. This is an important distinction that you need to make. The float setting by default for lithium is 13.6V and absorption for charging 14.2V. Remember, these figures are quoted to only 1 decimal place. When a lithium battery has finished charging its voltage will be above the float setting on the MPPT and the battery will provide the loads until the battery falls below the MPPT voltage. There is a few % of capacity in the battery and if loads are low then it can take some time to discharge this. In my opinion this is what the first screen is showing. Only after the battery has discharged this small amount will the battery voltage drop below the MPPT voltage and only at that point can the MPPT start to supply energy to the loads. This is what the second pictures is showing, note how the battery voltage is now 13.5V which allows the MPPT to start operating. If you had a system with a larger load running at the end of absorption you would see this transition happen much faster and maybe even miss it.

2 |3000

roblatour avatar image
roblatour answered ·

@kevgermany @pwfarnell thank you both for your insights they were helpful, and @kevgermany you are correct the battery BMS isn't connected to the RPi.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic