question

nunorgp avatar image
nunorgp asked

Peak Shaving - Input Current also limits feed-in

In Belgium, they introduced a new capacity tariff this year. To avoid an increase in the electricity bill, it is important to ensure that the 15-minute average consumption remains below 2500W.

One simple way to achieve this is by using ESS peak shaving and limiting the input current to around 11A. However, I have encountered an issue with this approach. When the batteries are full, I have noticed that the feed-in current is also limited to 11A. Consequently, the MPPTs throttle down to ensure that the feed-in current stays within the 11A limit.

This behavior was observed in my setup, which includes the following components:

• 2 x Multiplus II 5000/70 units in parallel
  • 1 x Cerbo Gx 3.00
  • 2 x MPPT 150/45 units
  • PV system with a total capacity of 6400W

In my opinion, if the feed-in limiting option in the ESS settings is turned off, there should be no throttling down. I would like to know if this is something that can be resolved.

Thank you for your assistance!

ESSinput currentfeed-in limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
danjul avatar image
danjul answered ·

Input current limiter was originally designed to protect the main fuse(or fuses im multiphase systems). That's why feed in in ESS also gets hit with the limiter.

As far as i know there's no way to around this problem as of now (VenusOS 3.1)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Peter avatar image
Peter answered ·

Try to limit "charge current limit" in DVCC to eg. about 1650W (30A)...

2 |3000

nunorgp avatar image
nunorgp answered ·

Hello thank you for the replies .

I think the best work around will be using node red .

During the day I will use ESS on optimized thus allways inverting from battery. Since I have 2 5000 multiplus I have quite a big buffer until the 2500W from grid kick in, and can still make a flow in node red to limit the input current in case the 2500 is passed during a certain time .

During the night , I will have node-red limit the input current to the 2500W . Since there is no solar in the night I will never be feeding in so no problem .

2 |3000

diederik avatar image
diederik answered ·

Did you succeed with Red-Node to limit the input current from the grid to 2500 W and still be able charge your batteries from the solar panel at full rate when the sun is shining?

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic