question

JimV avatar image
JimV asked

ESS: MPPT does not supply the load together with Grid

Hello.

We have just finished installation of a Quattro 15KVA, Smartsolar 250/100 with 4KW PV, 400AH lead acid batteries, CCGX.

Set-up should be in ESS and mode: Keep batteries Charged. Load is around 6KW continuous (pump). PV is only 4kW. So our expectation was for the PV to be supplying the load with the grid providing the remaining shortfall. When we tried it, the battery indeed charged the battery. But when the battery reached 100%, the system disconnects the grid and the PV and battery supplies the load by themselves.

We also tried Optimized (w/o Batterylife) mode. But still the same operation: PV and battery supplies the load until it reaches the SOC setpoint. Afterwhich, grid supplies the load and PV exclusively charges the battery. When it reaches 100%, again grid is disconnected by the system and PV and battery supplies the load.

We have updated the firmware of the Quattro and CCGX. But still have to check if the MPPT controller firmware is updated.

DVCC is disabled. Is this the possible reason why it is not working as what we expect for the system to do?

There is no internet connection at the site, so it is quite difficult to troubleshoot with me not there and I am just giving instructions to our installer there.

Hope to hear any suggestions/comments from anyone.

Thanks.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
We also tried Optimized (w/o Batterylife) mode. But still the same 
operation: PV and battery supplies the load until it reaches the SOC 
setpoint. Afterwhich, grid supplies the load and PV exclusively charges 
the battery. When it reaches 100%, again grid is disconnected by the 
system and PV and battery supplies the load.

If the inverting is disabled because the battery reached the "Minimum SOC", after charging from PV, the system should resume powering from PV/battery when SOC reaches 3 percent points above "Minimum SOC" set in ESS, not when SOC reaches 100%. This is how my system works in ESS mode with Optimized without BatteryLife.

I do have DVCC enabled, but I can't tell if this is why your system behaves differently.

I also have a SmartShunt which provides the SOC value. This is another difference (or you forgot to mention that you have a SmartShunt/BMV). But again, I can't tell if this is the cause, either.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JimV avatar image JimV commented ·

Thanks for your response.
We do not observe the system powering from PV after SOC reaches 3% above min SOC. We tried setting min SOC @95% when we tried the Optimized mode. But it does not supply PV to load together with grid even when SOC is already 100%.

We also do not have a Smartshunt installed.
We will try to change the DVCC to enable when our technician goes back to the site.

0 Likes 0 ·
dgnevans avatar image dgnevans JimV commented ·

Have yo ubeen through this document. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/dc_coupling:prioritize_solar

You should be using Self Consumption Hub1 if I am not mistaken.

0 Likes 0 ·
JimV avatar image JimV dgnevans commented ·

Hi dgnevans. As I understand, the ESS assistant is the newer assistant for this requirement, based on what I read on the manuals. BUt I will read on the link you sent about Hub 1. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
chris-ebsworth avatar image chris-ebsworth dgnevans commented ·

Hi, I to would like to use the Self Consumption Hub-1 assistant with no feedback as this seems to do exactly what i want but it requires a country code password. Do you know how to get the UK password, or a workaround??

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
basil katakuzinos avatar image basil katakuzinos chris-ebsworth commented ·
Your victron distributor can help you with that.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic