question

bergmans-trading-cc avatar image
bergmans-trading-cc asked

Multiplus II 5KVA pass through power?

Good day all

I have a question for the more experienced members here.

I have a Multiplus II 5KVA with a Smartsolar 250/85 charge controller, 12 x CS350 watt panels and a 10kwh lithium bank.

The house is equipped with a gas geiser and stove.

Power consumption was measured with logging device for about a week and peaked at 4.9kw with an average of 3.4kw throughout.

My question is can I feed the main AC from the grid through the Multipus with the main DB box connected to AC output 1 ( no break ) on the Multi.

Given that I will setup the ESS system to keep batteries charged and only use battery during load shedding.

The aim is to gain as much savings possible from PV and not have the hassle of splitting loads between AC outputs on the Multi.

I hope this makes sense?

Your input will be greatly valued.

Multiplus-IIESSinput current
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

@Bergmans Trading cc

I have seen a setup like this a 5kva running a house main DB from it's main output breaker. Running ESS. Works well if the users are good stewards.

The owners just need to juggle their loads manually to make sure there is no overloading of the system. 4000w as the datasheet says with some sympathy when there is temperature derating.

You can set a limit in the GX device to the 4000W and then was will pull from the grid more if the kids go over but this will not work during a power cut so they would still need to be aware of their loads. Also stress things like after a power cut the transfer capability also includes the Amperage drawn to recharge the batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think all informations you need are in the datasheet.

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-ii#datasheets

mpiidata.png (88.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

50A Maximum AC input current at 230V = about 11500VA plus 5000VA from the inverter if PowerAssist is enabled. That means means you could - in theory - support loads of 16500VA on the output.

Eg. In the case of the MultiPlus II 3000VA:

1596482202685.png (57.9 KiB)
2 |3000