question

karlw avatar image
karlw asked

Charging lifepo4 bank in a boat with 12 and 24v, 3 alternators

Hi In a boat I have two 24v engine banks charged by two 24v alternators, on one each caterpillar engine. I have a 12v house bank currently has 4 8d agm decca batts 240amp hours and they are charged with a generator feeding an inverter that charges 100 amp as well as a second charger feeding up to 75 amps (usually its only kicking in 35 ish amp as that is all the batteries can take),,, one of the two engines has a second 8c6163 alternator that is 12v and assuming an internal voltage regulator that charges these house batts as well. . For now I simply wish to change the house 4 8d batteries to lifepo4 maybe 540 or 800 amp hours. I am not clear how to run the alternator to the life batteries, as I hear of alternator overheating and the need to have a battery in place for dc dc charge. I can run a 30 amp dc to dc from the 24v engine batteries to the house life batts. The boat however could draw say 40-50 amps while underway. Thus, If I was looking to utilize the existing alternator what would I put between the 12v alternator and the life batts that would allow charging without overheating or bms issues? I was hoping to leave the current alternator in place and not change the internal regulator if possible. second, when the boat is engines are off I would want to be able to increase charging speed (decrease generator run time) and thus the 100 amp inverter would charge too slow, thus would I be able to piggy back a second say 150 amp charger along with the 100 amp life inverter charger ?

battery chargingLithium Batterybattery protect
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
Far easier to bite the bullet and toss the 12V house systems. If this is not totally possible, think about putting in a 24V house bank and running the 12V systems with dc/dc converters from the 24v bank.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
karlw avatar image
karlw answered ·

that house bank has a 3000 watt inverter. I dont see the benefit of changing to 24V for the house,,,, I just need to understand how to charge 12v lifepo4 from the existing alternator...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic