question

borco2k avatar image
borco2k asked

Selecting the right MultiPlus II (GX) for a 24V system

Hello, I am currently putting together a solar system for my camper van. The system will include a 24V/3000VA inverter/charger, a solar controller and the Cerbo GX. My question now relates to the combination devices that Victron offers.

The MPPT Sizing Calculator shows the BlueSolar MPPT 100/50 as the recommended charge controller for the selected panels, which achieves a PV power ratio of 127% (oversized) when operated with two strings of two panels in series (2x 2). The MPPT 250/70 would have a PV power ratio of 89% (undersized). For space reasons, I can rule out the possibility of adding more panels in the future.

Which device or combination should I buy?

a) The all-in-one Victron EasySolar-II 24/3000/70-32 MPPT 250/70 GX,
b) the Victron MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-32 GX and BlueSolar MPPT 100/50, or
c) the Victron MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-35, Cerbo GX, and BlueSolar MPPT 100/50

Please tell us not only what, but also why. Thanks

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxsmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Borco2k

Because you have space concerns for PV, I would size the mppt so there is no oversizing, you don't want to shave off any watts.

Not sure how critical your camper van power is for you. Or how much space you have for the kit.

Personally I prefer separate components since then you don't lose an entire system if repairs or warranties need to be dealt with. Downside is it is more expensive to install separate kit.

However you can't go wrong with the space and easy solar takes up and the easy of installation of it- there is so much less to think about there.

So it comes down to space and cost at the end of the day and how much you like building a system.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I picked an Easysolar for my camper. Was so pleased with it, I picked a bigger GX one for my boat.

Had problems with the bigger one and it was away for about a month.

I'd go with separates for the reason @Alexandra said. You can save cash with the smaller MPPT. And also consider an Orion to charge the batteries when you're driving.

That said, I'm very happy with both EasySolars.

2 |3000

borco2k avatar image
borco2k answered ·

Thanks. I picked the Easysolar-II GX, mostly because I like the KISS approach (keep it simple, stupid) for ages.

2 |3000