question

phg1961 avatar image
phg1961 asked

Installing phoenix inverter 12/500

In my 40 ft sailboat, I have 3 separate solar panels, about total 280w, with three MPPT 75/15 bluetooth which are then jointly connected to my battery pack, in total 4 batteries, about 400ah. I have now bought the latest inverter 12/500.

Question: Should this inverter be connected directly to the battery (the same as the three MPPT's) or should I connect via one of the MPPT's or does it not matter? I guess it should be direct since I will need to have a thicker cable to the inverter than to the single MPPT?! Always a correct fuse on red cable?!

Is it recommendable to install a V.E direct bluetooth dongle to the inverter? or maybe I don't need one since I have the power on each MPPT's. However, sw upgrades etc is made through the bluetooth up which tells me it is good to have one for the inverter too?!

Thanks Peter

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

You cannot run the inverter from the MPPT load out (this is specified in the MPPT manual). Install to the battery bank, through the appropriate fuse to protect your wire of course.

The BT dongle is nice to have, though unnecessary for most applications.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.