question

nebulight avatar image
nebulight asked

SmartShunt buzzing noise? Is this normal?

I just picked up a SmartShunt to act as a DC monitor since I already have a BMV712 for the main monitor. However upon installing it on my test bench, I found that there is a buzzing noise coming from the PCB. I did a quick search and found a few other users that reported this. Is this a common issue with these smartshunts? I'm mild OCD so I know when it's really quiet and I can hear it it'll drive me nuts. If I can get a warranty swap it might be worth it if it's not a common issue.

Thanks.

SmartShunt
img-0501mov.mp4 (2.5 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

Bump. Can I get some feedback on this. I processed an RMA with the seller but they got it back, states that it still works and is refusing to do an exchange. I emailed Victron Sales NA this video but want some feedback from others who have a smart shunt. Am I crazy? I don't believe it was making this noise when I installed (I think I would have noticed) so I believe something is wrong with this unit. However I could be wrong. I think the seller is getting upset with me as I'm kind of being insistent on this matter as this is installed under my bed in a camper van so it's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jimz avatar image
jimz answered ·

@nebulight did the problem got resolved?. I am also facing the same issue with smart shunt 500A

2 |3000

ffvictron avatar image
ffvictron answered ·

I wonder if the victronconnect or the cerbo shows any error logs? I am about to pull the trigger on this and this maybe a show stopper.

2 |3000

jimz avatar image
jimz answered ·

there are no logs/ alarms for hissing/ buzzing high pitch noise. you can hear it only when your setup place is silent

2 |3000

jwalsh avatar image
jwalsh answered ·

I have the same noise, I installed last week.

2 |3000

panpower avatar image
panpower answered ·

802679b3-e41c-4726-a6df-237fddb5baf3.jpeg

I find a solution ...

2 |3000

lschtz avatar image
lschtz answered ·

So basically as I found no solution online and I have the same problem with this thing basically under my head in my camper bed, I just opened the thing up and epoxied the whole thing. What can I say, the warranty and the coil whine is gone.

Also did this to a neey equalizer which I had the same struggle with and that also worked.

2 |3000