question

Mario Navarro avatar image
Mario Navarro asked

Cerbo GX VE.Direct ports seem dead

Hello, I'm using V3.14.

I want to connect a microcontroller to read serial DATA, but they seem dead: No voltage on VCC and no changes on TX or RX ports (with the voltmeter though), what would be a sign of life. Same in the three. And cannot see any option in the remote console or manual to enable or disable these ports.

Of course I also tried reading with an Arduino on every pin of the three ports at given specs (19200 bauds, 8N1) with no activity detected.

cerbo gxVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think you are trying to read the wrong port.
The VE.direct on the Cerbo isn't an output, the signals are coming from the device on the other side(MPPT, BMV/SmartShunt etc.).

What data do you want to read?

Take a look at Modbus and MQTT.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mario Navarro avatar image Mario Navarro commented ·

Hello Matthias, thanks for the info, didn't know.

I just wanted a simple and quick way to obtain battery percentage load power and PV power. I have a Quattro and two Smartsolar MPPT. So if those are the valid ve.direct port I should then read all to obtain what I want, so the only viable solution is modbus I guess.

I'm going to use modbus in the future but I wanted to start with some simple because time constraints.

0 Likes 0 ·
rrroonn avatar image
rrroonn answered ·

My 2 cents.

MQTT on LAN is simpler but depends on what the end use is. Most home automation systems (such as Home Assistant) support MQTT directly.

see dbus-mqtt and make sure you read the section about keepalive.

See also

MQTT Explorer - So you can poke around and see what is available on the device.

2 |3000