question

sjl avatar image
sjl asked

Running multiple battery chemistries

I am currently running a Victron Cerbo GX, MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48, and MPPT RS 450/100, with a Redflow ZCell BMS hooked up to a single Redflow battery (gen 2.5). The battery died this morning, with the consequence that I'm getting no power out of the solar array. (It's a grid connected system, so that's not fatal to me; I'm already talking to Redflow about what is going to be done about this.)

Would it be possible for me to purchase a completely different battery system - eg, a PylonTech US3000C - and have it run in parallel with the Redflow battery? The basic idea here is that the Redflow battery gives me 10 kWh; I don't really need much more than that, but having a separate battery chemistry that will allow the inverter to work even if the Redflow battery is out of circuit (eg: the three-daily maintenance cycle) is looking more and more like a good idea, if it's possible.

If the answer ends up being something like, "Yes, but you'll need to write custom code and maintain that code yourself", it's probably not going to happen: I'm capable, but don't have the inclination at the moment for a number of reasons.

Lithium BatterybatteryRedFlow ZCell Flow Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

a lot will depend on the output and chargeb voltages of the redflow, if they are close to the same then you may get away with it.

if the redflow is totaly diferant then you could also have a switch over system but you would have to re agjust the charge parameters each timed. also disconnect one bms and plug another one in.

overall not recommended

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sjl avatar image
sjl answered ·

What I suspected. Sigh. I'll have a detailed discussion with a guy who worked at the now out-of-business installer sometime tomorrow and see where we go from here.

Thanks, Paul, I appreciate the speedy reply, even if it's not what I wanted to hear.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?