question

bmac avatar image
bmac asked

Connect to EasySolar via USB

Hi - EasySolar 3KVa want to do an equalisation charge on batteries. Have Victron bluetooth dongle but port on MPPT very hard to access and cable does not lock in properly. Using VictronConnect on phone - how can i connect to instigate Equalisation charge - use USB cable? Plug into which port on GX display? No I do not have WIFI.

Thanks.

1635817045956.png

VictronConnect
1635817045956.png (177.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@bmac

If you are trying to program the inverter itself with victron connect you need the mk3 to usb adaptor.

The bluetooth dongle is mainly for non smart products with the ve direct port. It does not interface with a gx at all. If you are trying to program your mppt then you need to take off some covers and plug directly into the ve direct port of the mppt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Unless you have traction batteries, you should not do an equalisation charge.

2 |3000

bmac avatar image
bmac answered ·

Hi - thanks for the replies but i'm no closer to a solution. How can i initiate an equalisation charge without the bluetooth dongle on the EasySolar 3KVA. The MPPT does not have onboard bluetooth. I do not have WIFI. The ve.direct port is not designed to connect / disconnect cables especially upside down & how it has to be accessed on this model. I try to avoid doing this because of the flimsy port and method to attach the cable but i need to now & the cable is loose in the port and not connecting. This unit should not have been sold with a non bluetooth MPPT. It was sold as being able to do this via bluetooth in the brochures when i bought it but Alexandra as you mention once you pull the ve.direct cable out of the mppt then there is no connection to the GX and you are left with a standalone mppt.

Thanks.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Can you please be a bit more precise about what equipment you have?

If you have a the EasySolar with CCGX and the MPPT don't have Bluetooth you must have got a very old unit. The early version had a BlueSolar without Bluetooth build-in.

If you want to access the settings of the MultiPlus part of the EasySolar then you need a MK3 Interface for the MPPT you have to connect a VE.direct Bluetooth dongle temporarily.

If you connect internet to the GX device you should be able to access the settings via the VRM portal (if the firmware versions are not to old).

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/victonconnect-remote--vc-r----configuration-and-monitoring-via-vrm.html

2 |3000

bmac avatar image
bmac answered ·

Hi Matthias,

Very old system - ha ha. Prob true of everything in life. It was brand new when i bought it! Purchased in March 2018.

It is an EasySolar 48/3000/35 with 150/70 BlueSolar MPPT. Shortly after buying it i raised this exact question with the place i purchased it. They advise i buy the bluetooth dongle and the MK3 to USB. Which i did but quickly discovered once you plug in the bluetooth dongle you no longer have an easysolar as the MPPT is no longer connected. The shop had no answer. Connecting online from anywhere in the world was never a requirement or desire of mine. Ceertainly was never sold as having to do that either. Soon after the EasySolar came with SmartSolar MPPT.

I bought it as the documentation said i could connect via bluetooth which was great as it's in the next room at my house. I'm just after being able to connect to the MPPT via bluetooth. I don't have WIFI. I don't want or need VRM or the constant use of data & $ to see what the unit on the wall in my house is doing.

My laptop is Windows 10 which if i read the Victron Connect app properly it is STILL not compatible with after all these years!

Apologies for the rant, i was really unhappy at the time as all this became known after i purchased it. The documentation said it could do this. Now the port on the MPPT has a flimsy connection because i've had to connect and disconnect it over the years which it was never designed for. I just don't understand why this unit was shipped without a bluetooth MPPT.

Sincerely,

Brett.

3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@bmac

If you have not done an equalisation since 2018 and they are the same set of batteries then dont do it.

Material will peal off and possibly short plates internally. Then the bank is dead.

Also if you update the system and repgram, then you can manually start the equalisation from the gx menu you have enough power to do so.

screenshot-20211108-100520.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
bmac avatar image bmac Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Alexandra

one of the joys of the impreciseness of communicating on the web - have done equalisation charge numerous times but now connector is loose. have updated firmware etc in the intervening period too.

i'm off grid so if i read it correctly i need to run a generator to do an equalisation charge as per your screenshot?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ bmac commented ·
Yes, you need an excess of produced and/or imported power to make the equalisation cycle charge work.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @bmac

I use an Easy 5000 that's even older than yours. They were designed for the web, and Victron BT and Connect were still in their infancy. I'm sorry you were misled, but the bt kit isn't really compatible without the VE.Direct disconnection. As with the MK3 on VE.Bus.

You mention a Win10 laptop. It's not much use either without web. Surely it has wifi (I added a nano usb wifi to the GX), and maybe ethernet. Win 10 is pretty much compatible with all things Victron, and VictronConnect there works fine for changing settings in VE.Direct devices. But it does need that web/VRM to reference. Data use is minimal, especially if set up for infrequent data logging, and LAN access used when possible.

I think you're actually holding yourself back insisting on bt when it's all there for the asking otherwise. I don't use bt at all. And the MK3 only for Multi firmware updates (because my CCGX is too old), but I don't do that often.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
I use the mk3 to usb, Win10 and VE configure 3. Works well. I leave the lan/ve connect cable plugged into the Easysolar to save pulling the panel every time. And the rest of the time it's plugged into the CCGX. No WiFi needed.

If your cable is loose, check the cable end, possible the locking clip broke off.

2 |3000

bmac avatar image
bmac answered ·

@kevgermany kev - tried this but how does this let you configure the mppt? used to have all this setup on my old laptop and only recall it was for settings on the multiplus.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The MPPT in mine is Bluetooth so needs victron connect or the rotary switch for configuration.

Sadly easysolar is a box of individual components that are physically connected, but not integrated for configuration. Hopefully in a future evolution.

0 Likes 0 ·
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

I know this is a couple years old and not sure if you found your answer.

I turn my victron app on and once Bluetooth is established to my easy solar, hit the wheel at the top RH corner, then battery..

On this page you can scroll down and press the equalization button.

It's best to go into the expert mode and change the voltage and time to what you want.

To do this, scroll a little further down and switch to expert mode. it'll ask if you're sure. Click that.

Here you're able to change your voltages and times.

2 |3000

Related Resources