question

mobile-ham avatar image
mobile-ham asked

Phoenix Sine Wave Inverter reversed DC input polarity protection?

I have just ordered a 12V DC 250VA Phoenix Sine Wave Inverter and cannot find any reference to whether it will be damaged, a fuse blows, or whatever, if the 12 Volt input wires are reversed.

I can add a Mosfet protection unit on the input lead if necessary. The inverter will be used for temporary use and is therefore at risk of the supply being accidentally reversed.

Thanks

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

There is no reverse polarity protection on the DC battery connections.

Connecting the inverter in reverse polarity will destroy it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mobile-ham avatar image
mobile-ham answered ·

Wow, that's not good. I will need to add one of my Mosfet protection modules into the cable. You guys might want to consider using such simple protection, check Analog Devices LTC4368 data sheet. I use their IC and two Mosfets in my protection boards. The circuit is in the data sheet and can carry in excess of 50 Amps.

2 |3000