question

marijn-achterkamp avatar image
marijn-achterkamp asked

Smartsolar ignore BMS

Our system has two battery banks; One 48V LFP with an MG master LV BMS and one 24V buffer battery (no BMS) for the onboard appliances. Now we have solarpanels charging this 24V bank (and a DC/DC converter to charge them from the 48V bank when no solar available).

Now our Smartsolar MPPTs, which are connected to our Cerbo via Ve.direct, recognizes the 48V BMS and thinks it's connected the 48V bank instead of the 24V and as a result does not charge. In the Victron connect app there is an option to reset the BMS connection but it auto reconnects each time because it sees the BMS on the network.

How can we set the smartsolar to ignore the BMS and force it to just use the 24V bank?

cerbo gxMPPT SmartSolarBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Marijn Achterkamp

Under DVCC right at the bottom, switch off BMS control.

Then you will have to reprogram the mppt to remove the BMS control there as well.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marijn-achterkamp avatar image marijn-achterkamp commented ·

Thanks for your reply. But doesn't that switch of the BMS for the DVCC completely?

The DVCC is used for the 48V system which includes our Multiplus inverter/chargers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ marijn-achterkamp commented ·

Sorry your post doesn't me token the entire picture of Victron equipment.

You you will have to buy another GX. There is no way to have both the BMS control and the mppts with a different voltage system and control on one GX

1 Like 1 ·
marijn-achterkamp avatar image marijn-achterkamp Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Yes, sorry for not getting the complete picture clear. Apart from the costs of another GX, it seems to be not possible to have multiple GX devices in a system.

Furthermore. I just want the MPPT to ignore the BMS, nothing to do with DVCC etc.

The MPPT's get the voltage info from the BMV of the 24V bank. They share the VE.Smart network via bluetooth.

0 Likes 0 ·
sebcbien avatar image
sebcbien answered ·

Hello,

I have the same problem.

I have a 48V system in a Van with a SmartSolar, CerboGX, Multiplus, DVCC and ESS setup.

Then I added a SmartSolar to take care of the 12v starter battery and connected it to the CerboGX

I just wanted to be able to control the 12v SmartSolar through node red.

I can enable/disable it (with schedules) but the SmartSolar refuses to charge the 12v battery.

@Marijn Achterkamp did you find a workaround ?

1 comment
2 |3000

@sebcbien Unfortunately not. Had contact with Victron about it and is definitely not possible. The Cerbox just can handle one DVCC setup. Also tried with the new firmware 3.30 last week because the release note stated support for multiple batteries. But although it supports multiple batteries it cannot handle the MPPT separately from the main battery
0 Likes 0 ·
sebcbien avatar image
sebcbien answered ·

After some tests, It looks like the Cerbo GX only need the TX output of the cable to receive all data. No bidirectional communication is needed.

And the SmartSolar can be configured to use the RX as a remote on-off

So, in theory, I coud connect the SmartSolar to the Cerbo GX to receive all datas.

AND I coud open the RX cable of the SmartSolar and pass it trough one of the relays of the Cerbo GX to send a command signal.

Now the question is, what kind of signal is accepted at the RX pin of the SmartSolar to remote control it ?

If someone has the answer, thanks a lot !

I found the inspiration here: Manual-VE.Direct-non-inverting-remote-on-off-cable-EN.pdf (victronenergy.com)

and in the app:

1706137577870.png

1706137577870.png (160.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

That looks like it could work, maybe... Have you tried it?
0 Likes 0 ·