question

urstanner avatar image
urstanner asked

Problems with VE.CAN to NMEA2000 interface when N22Bus has no power

Hi Victron Community
On my boat I have a CERBO GX, a LYNX Shunt, and a lot of other VE.CAN devices. I connected the VE.CAN to NMEA2000 adapter, and all works perfectly. I can read the Victron data on the N2K bus via my Raymarine plotter. All good - until the time I switch-off the power on the NMEA2000 bus (Bus is off if I am not on the boat). If NO NMEA 2000 bus available, the VE.BUS communication has problems, and e.g. the Shunt information (current Amps) is missing (because there is not "end resistant"???).
Does anyone has an idea how this problem can be overcome so that the VE.CAN Bus shows correct information if the N2K bus is not running?
Thanks

VE.Canlynx shuntNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

the ve.can bus should be independently powered and also should have its own start and end terminating resistors, ie it has to be setup as its own ve.can bus and the nmea converter then connects to that bus then to your n2k bus

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

What type of Raymarine plotter do you have ? If you can run glassbridge an ip connection between the cerbo and plotter may be better. For what it’s worth I decided to keep my ve.bus and seatalk bus seperate - too many mission critical devices on each network and troubleshooting problems is difficult enough without further complicating things. Hopefully the Ekrano does a better job of this with dual Buses. I also explored the SignalK Server and WilhelmSK which was pretty good. That said the latest beta integration with Axiom excellent.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic