question

niyidrums avatar image
niyidrums asked

Solar System Energy Source Optimization

Hi - I’m having issues optimizing the energy source preference for my solar system. I’ve got Victron Inverter MultiPlus 48/5000/70-100, SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/85 rev2, Cerbo GX, integrated with a BYD 2x5KW LV Batteries.

The required energy source preference should be:

- solar should be the primary energy source if available.

- If solar's provided energy is not equal to or more than the AC load, then the system should get the balance from the grid (if available), or else, from the battery.

- In the absence of solar, the energy source should be from the grid (if available); else, use the battery.

With my current settings, during the day, solar provides energy; however, at night, the battery takes over instead of the grid (when available). We’ve encountered cases where the grid is not available, the battery is discharging from providing energy to load, and when the grid is available, it continues to discharge until a set level where the grid kicks in for a bit, then the battery kicks in again, resulting in a ping pong between the battery and grid, affecting the battery from getting fully charged.

My solar system engineer has configured the system using load percentage for the preference, but this doesn’t solve the problem; I would appreciate your support.

Niyi.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerMPPT SmartSolarEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Niyidrums

Just to clarify in what scenario would you like to use the power from battery? If during the day you want to power your loads directly from solar, and during the night you want grid, is it just when the grid goes down you want to use power from battery?

If so you could achieve this by setting min SoC in ESS settings to a high SoC or use "Keep batteries at 100%". This will use solar during the day and grid during the night to keep batteries at 100% and then if grid goes down it'll use battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

niyidrums avatar image
niyidrums answered ·

Hi @matt1309

Yes, you're right; the only time the battery should kick in is when the solar/grid is down.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will update the settings now and keep the thread updated.

2 |3000

niyidrums avatar image
niyidrums answered ·

@matt1309 I've since made the recommended changes, which have worked as required. Thanks.

2 |3000