question

Mike Gillming avatar image
Mike Gillming asked

external mains charging with a 24/12 dc/dc converter

Sorry if asked before, but couldn't find answer. Can I charge my 24V start batteries from a 'mains' powered external battery charger, even though it's wired up to my Victron 24/12 dc/dc converter?...cheers

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Mike Gillming

If you mean charging your 24V batt at the same time as you draw from it, then yes.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Gillming avatar image Mike Gillming commented ·
Thanks mate, so just to be clear, as I didn't fully explain very well. I have a 230 volt powered 24V, 4 amp charger that I use to use to top up my 24V start battery AND 'top-up' my house AGM whilst plugged into mains power. That seemed to work fine as I have very little load on the 'house' 12V system while plugged into mains power, fridge and freezer switch over to mains, the rest are just a few low watt led's. I seem to be over thinking this 'transition' into Lithium and a new DC/DC converter....thanks again!
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Mike Gillming commented ·

Lithium must have a suitable charger, configured for your batteries. The generic ones for lead acid/AGM are not suitable.

In general lithium and lead require separate chargers/systems and should not be connected together due to voltage differences.

The exception is when you use a DC:DC charger to charge one from the other. Adding a mains charger is fine, so long as the settings are the same on all chargers in the system.

1 Like 1 ·
Mike Gillming avatar image
Mike Gillming answered ·

Hey thanks for replying, :). I looked up the specs for this particular charger. This charger has 'cut-off voltages below that of the dc/dc converter, meaning it doesn't get much of a 'look-in' under normal conditions. I have since bought a separate mains powered Victron LFP charger, for when I'm parked up in the shade or in a shed...cheers Mike

2 |3000

Related Resources