question

Andrew-1 avatar image
Andrew-1 asked

Time remaining not working properly

I have a SmartShunt. Time remaining should be based on Ah power consumed in and out and averaged over the time specified in the settings. In my case this is set to the maximum 12 minutes (not nearly adequate). When my fridge is on I will get power drawn and time remaining will show. Once the fridge stops drawing power and the solar panels are feeding in, the time remaining disappears. Almost like it’s an instantaneous reading. If it were averaging this would not happen straight away.

img-9986.png

img-9985.png

SmartShunt
img-9986.png (156.5 KiB)
img-9985.png (159.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Andrew-1

when the battery is charging the time remaining is unknown.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Andrew-1 avatar image Andrew-1 commented ·
Not true, on average more power has been drawn from the system. That’s why it’s at 57% if it was averaging then it shouldn’t go to infinite time remain straight away. It should take at least 12 minutes but it doesn’t even do that.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Andrew-1 commented ·

It's the way the software works. Not whether it's theoretically possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Picture 1 - 10:00 shows the battery receiving 1.53A. which means the solar/charge source is more than load - it is increasing in capacity. Therefore you have infinite time left since you are not drawing capacity down.

The system does not calculate time to full charge.

Picture 2 - 9:57 shows - 1.35A so now it is discharging... At that load you have 21h 52m to the discharge floor you have set.

Would you prefer it waited 12 minutes before telling you what is going on? Time to go averaging only works if there is continuous discharge and over the period you have set. (Default is 3 minutes.)

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Lynx_Shunt_VE.Can/en/battery-monitor-settings.html#UUID-eb9ae39b-f47a-77cc-1c7b-56dc7af7e279

1 Like 1 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

"The battery monitor estimates how long the battery can support the present load. This is the “time-to-go” readout and is the actual time left until the battery is discharged to the set “discharge floor”. The discharge floor is by default set at 50%. For the discharge floor setting see the Discharge floor chapter. If the load is fluctuating heavily, it is best not to rely on this reading too much, as it is a momentary readout and should be used as a guideline only. We recommend the use of the state of charge readout for accurate battery monitoring.

If the “Time remaining” indicates three dashes: “---” this means that the battery monitor is in an unsynchronised state."

2 |3000