question

Mark avatar image
Mark asked

Ve.Bus BMS no leds on

Hi all

I’m starting to install a system into a caravan.

I have two victron smart Lithium batteries (200Ah). I have connected the Ve.Bus BMS. But I don’t get any leds showing.

How do I know if everything is OK.

Thanks

Mark

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·
@mewgaf pretty sure that the VeBus BMS gets its negative power supply via the rj45 plug to the inverter/charger.

Not plugged into inverter = no power.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Thanks

I don’t have an inverter in this system.

The unit has + and - terminals which I have connected to Battery.

5 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@mewgaf as per manual the bms gets its negative power supply via the rj45 cable to the inverter/charger. Where exactly did you plug the batt negative into the bms!?

1. The UTP cable to the inverter or inverter/charger also connects the battery minus to the BMS.
In this case, in order to prevent ground loops, do not wire the battery minus connector of the BMS.
2. Wire the positive supply input of the VE.Bus BMS to the system positive. A system on-off switch in the positive supply
wire will disable the system when opened.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@klim8skeptic The "old" VE.Bus BMS has a negative connection.

But I don't see why one should use the VE.Bus BMS in a system without a VE.Bus Inverter/MultiPlus/Quattro.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE Your correct :). @mewgaf sorry about that :(.

bms-no-inverter.png

0 Likes 0 ·
bms-no-inverter.png (248.2 KiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Without a VE.Bus device you could just use the smallBMS.
0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Thanks all

I was sold this,as I was told it would connect with my cerbo gx. Which is incorrect the Ve.bus BMS will not connect to the cerbo gx, while the Ve.bus BMS V2 will.

Otherwise yes I would have got the small BMS.

Through the Victron Connect App when I look at a number of things it does show the Ve.bus BMS. But I would have thought like every other victron device I have has an LED the lights up when powered on.

Cheers

Mark

2 |3000