question

dmac avatar image
dmac asked

Blue Smart IP67 Charger Absorption Pulsing

My Blue Smart IP 67 charger - connected to a 100AH AGM battery using the default settings. If I connect the charger to the battery when the battery is already fully charged (in order to use the maintenance feature), I understand that there is a 30 minute minimum absorption phase. During absorption, I see the battery very quickly charge up to ~14.4 volts and the current drop to almost nothing. After a a few minutes in this 'standard' absorption mode though, the current will drop to zero for maybe 20 seconds at a time while the voltage on the battery drops back to around 14.3 or so before the charger sends a very brief current pulse (looks like several amps). The voltage jumps to 14.6 or 14.7 momentarily then falls back to 14.3 or so before the charger sends another pulse. This continues for the remainder of what I assume is the remaining time in the minimum absorption period. Is this expected behavior? I would think this could be harmful to the battery.

battery chargingcharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@dmac The voltage jumps to 14.6 or 14.7 momentarily then falls back to 14.3 or so before the charger sends another pulse

Sounds normal if you have selected "recondition" charge cycle.

Have you read the IP 67 manual?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dmac avatar image dmac commented ·
See additional comment - this is not how recondition works.
0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

Unless the battery manufacturer specifies a custom charge profile you should be alright. However, to prevent damage, AGM and GEL batteries should NOT be charged with the recondition mode enabled.

It would be beneficial to read the owner manuals before using the charger.

1 comment
2 |3000

dmac avatar image dmac commented ·

See additional comment - this is not how recondition works.

0 Likes 0 ·
dmac avatar image
dmac answered ·

I have read the manual. I am using the default settings - which do NOT include the recondition mode. Recondition mode is NOT selected and never was.

If you do read the manual, this is not how the reconditioning mode is described anyway: "RECONDITION Optional reconditioning for deeply discharged lead-acid batteries. Reconditioning is applicable to the charge algorithms NORMAL and HIGH and can be selected with the App on your smartphone. When in RECONDITION mode the battery will be charged with low current up to a higher voltage at the end of the absorption phase. "

In fact, there is also this bit in the manual as well: "Some battery charger manufactures recommend pulse charging to reverse sulfation. However, most battery experts agree that there is no conclusive proof that pulse charging works any better than constant voltage charging. This is confirmed by our own tests."

So, recondition, even if it was on - which it is not - does not pulse, it applies low current but just takes the battery up to a higher voltage than usual (16.2 or higher depending on other settings, per the manual.

Why would I see this behavior then?

2 |3000

regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

If you have doubts about your battery charger you should have it examined and tested by your Victron dealer.

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic