question

sam-carleton avatar image
sam-carleton asked

Floating the neutral on a Phoenix 12/800 inverter

The Phoenix 12/800 inverter is installed in my tiny little teardrop camper and the neutral is connected to the protective earth. I know because I cracked the case and changed it to be connected.

When the RV is at home, I want it hooked the inverter to a transfer switch so the solar system can run critical things in case of a power outage. I know in the house the neutral should only connect to the earth in one place, the main panel. This means when the inverter is plugged into the transfer switch the neutral needs to be floating.

The question is: Can I leave the neutral floating when away from the house and not connected to that transfer switch? If not, is there any easy way to automate the change (the inverter is a pain to get to, actually)

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Simple way to do this is to remove the bond from inside the phoenix. Make up a short extension cable with the bond in that. Label the cable clearly and keep it where no-one else can use it...

When you're powering the camper, do it through the bonded cable. For the house don't use the bonded cable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.