question

roscoe avatar image
roscoe asked

Re Victron Smart Shunt wiring to starter battery (2nd battery)

roscoe avatar image

roscoe answered · 2 secs ago

I have a Victron smart shunt, connected to a lithium house battery in the rear of my truck.

I would like to connect this smart shunt to my aux battery located in engine compartment of vehicle.

I have a positive feed (6 awg wire) which comes direct from aux positive battery terminal to a dc-dc charger located in rear of my truck above house battery.

Can I connect positive aux shunt wire to this + feed from starter battery? That is my question.

This would save me running the wire all the way thru the cabin of vehicle. Negative goes to a common ground in rear….

Would the fact that the positive is also connected to dc-dc charged affect the accuracy of smart shunt voltage display?

thanks for any info re this….

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Yes you could do this but when the battery to battery charger is charging the measured voltage will be lower than the actual starter battery voltage. How much the error will be can not be determined from your information. Use a voltage drop calculation (there are many on line ones) to estimate this. Only you will know if this is important or not to you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

roscoe avatar image
roscoe answered ·

Ok thanks mate for your reply.

ill give it a go and see how it works out.

I’ll check out the voltage drop calcs and see if it’s material.

2 |3000