question

theorangee avatar image
theorangee asked

GARMIN OVERLANDER with VICTRONCONNECT

Hi Community

Have anyone tried to manage Victron devices using VictronConnect installed in a GARMIN Overlander (which is an Android Device).

I managed to download and install the VicConnect App, the app recognize the presence of a Victron device but then I am unable to actually perform a full connection and management of the devices.

Any Idea why?

Thanks

VictronConnect
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jsackspot avatar image jsackspot commented ·
Hi, how did you end up getting the APK installed? What steps did you take? Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
jsackspot avatar image jsackspot jsackspot commented ·
If anyone was wondering how to install the Victron app on a Garmin Overlander, go to APKPure, scroll down to 'Old Versions' and select the latest version. From there, scroll down to find 'Variants', and select the armeabi-v7a version to download and install. This also works with other apps that may not have installed with a 'regular' .apk.
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

What happens when you try to connect?

If it "hangs" at 80%, then it is waiting for a pin code. On samsung phones, a pin popup is shown. On other phones, a notification is shown in the notification bar and that has to be clicked to be able to fill in a pin code.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

theorangee avatar image theorangee commented ·

Dear Thiemo.

Thanks for your interest. I am able to connect to different Android phones and IPhones. But not with the Garmin Overlander.

With the Overlander the devices are detected and recognized:

vc2.jpg
but it tries to connect coing 2 or 3 times from 20% to 80% and back to 1%....

vc3.jpg

vc4.jpg
after a while a message comes out telling that it is not connecting and I should try to work on the BT pairing setup.

vc1.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
vc2.jpg (1.1 MiB)
vc3.jpg (1.6 MiB)
vc4.jpg (1.5 MiB)
vc1.jpg (1.5 MiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ theorangee commented ·

Please go through this troubleshooting:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/troubleshooting.html

There seems to be a problem with the PIN code pop-up.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

Although this is normally not advised, you could try to connect/pair with the Victron products from within the Android Bluetooth menu. Perhaps then it is able to show a popup.

If this is still not the case, it might be that some other app is "hijacking" the pairing/pin popup. I would advice you to check what other apps are installed that can do something with bluetooth devices and (temporarily) remove them.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

izak-joubert avatar image
izak-joubert answered ·

I've just tried it on the Garmin tread overland. And it's the same, there's no pin pop up and there is no direct bluetooth connection, it just fails immediately. I can see all my devices but I can't connect them.

Seriously victron this is becoming ridiculous . What is the use of a bluetooth connection if I can only use it with my phone while standing next to the device. There's no CarPlay or Android auto app?!?!?

How am I supposed to be able to see if my house battery is charging sufficiently while driving. I can buy an ngauge sensor , hook it up to your device and bam I can use it, but why the hell do I need to fork out more money to use your products

2 |3000

Related Resources