question

ajbremer avatar image
ajbremer asked

DC to DC Charging wired for Charging...

I am wiring up my Victron Orion 12 to 24 DC to DC charger to charge my solar battery bank. I see where you can add a switch to turn the unit on or off but why would I need an on and off switch if the unit can sense when the vehicle is running? When I turn the vehicle off the charger shuts off, so why the switch?

wiringorion dc-dcswitch
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
rgrver avatar image
rgrver answered ·

I prefer to use solar only for charging, so I can learn what to expect from it. However, if the solar stops working, I can turn on dc-dc with the switch.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

People like to have options *shrug*

There are also multiple uses for the remote jumper besides just adding a physical switch, as outlined in the user manual. Ignition-on triggered charging rather than automatic voltage-triggered charging, BMS control, etc etc.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Wiring Unlimited Book

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic