question

solarmessie avatar image
solarmessie asked

Recommendations for Converting 24V Wind Turbine Output to 48V DC-DC for Pylontech Battery?

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a small-scale wind turbine project and I'm looking to integrate it with my existing 48V Pylontech battery system and the MP2. I plan the use of a 24V wind turbine and I'm considering the use of a 24V buffer battery.

I've read about Markus's MPPT wind charge controller but haven't been able to determine its current development status. Is it a viable option for my project?

My main question is: Is it possible to use a Victron Orion 24/48 converter to convert the 24V DC output to 48V, and then link it to a Lynx busbar. I do not need to actually charge the Pylontech battery so could the Orion be configured in such a way that it takes the direct current from the wind turbine steps it up to 48V directly for the MP2 without charging. The turbine will produce only an average of 50W with maybe peaks of 200W.

If this is possible do I need the buffer battery or just some big capacitors?

Does the Orion integrate into the VRM and measure the kwh?

I'm interested in any advice or recommendations you might have for this setup.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

Best regards,

Paul

orion dc-dcwind
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The Orions do not integrate into VRM via your GX. For this you need a smart shunt or BMV as well.

Using an Orion this way is probably unsupported. Will it work? Not sure.Might with properly matched voltages. But as the Pylontech voltage drops, wind will charge the Pylontechs. If there's a buffer battery/capacitor and the Orion does work, the buffer will be discharged when no wind. But the Orion won't be happy without one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solarmessie avatar image
solarmessie answered ·

Hello and thank you for the quick response and clarification. I had suspected that using the Orion this way might be unsupported, so I appreciate the insight.

I'll look into integrating a smart shunt or BMV for VRM integration, as you suggested.

I have another question, however: Would it even make sense to use the small-scale wind turbine for offsetting the self-consumption of the ESS system and some basic load? I’m interested in exploring how feasible it would be to improve system efficiency by capturing even a modest amount of wind power.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range