question

jason-gallivan avatar image
jason-gallivan asked

Wind energy load dump

Building a system with an 800w wind turbine by adding to an existing 2000w solar system.

My plan is to add a rectifier than then feeds a dump load and am mppt. (A brake is before the rectifier).

My thought is that when the mppt goes into float the voltage behind it will rise. The question I have is do you actually need a relay?

I don’t want to put a drain on the batteries (Lifepo4) only on the source of the power (rectifier).

Current will flow to the easiest path, when the mppt shuts off the path, it will find another Avenue. So why not just parallel resistors (dump load) with the mppt? While the mppt is taking current it will be there non resistance path. When it shuts down current should flow through the dump.

Has any one tried this? Is there an issue I’m not considering?

The batteries are 24v. The turning says 24v however, I think that was because the charge controller it came with (non Lifepo4) was set to 24v. So until I test the system I’m not sure what the actual volts will be. But the top power output is 800w so out not going to be too crazy on amps and volts. (Any guesses on what the volts will be before and after the rectifier?)

The main point here is that most systems are dumping from the battery and I want to avoid that and only drop the current from the wind generator

wind
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

What kind of voltage waveform is the MPPT going to see coming out of your rectifier?

Unless the WG is a multi-phase machine then the voltage will vary a lot during each cycle but I doubt the MPPT will be able to track it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike-donahue avatar image
mike-donahue answered ·

Howdy, I'm in the same boat and what @jason gallivan said sounds pretty reasonable. Any luck with that?

My plan is a 48v 800w wind turbine to a rectifier to a MPPT 100/30 maybe 100/50. I have a 200Ah lithium battery. I live in a windy city.

How do you implement a brake? I've googled it but not connecting the dots

Thank you in advance!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic