question

simongh avatar image
simongh asked

MultiPlus Compact 12/2000 with older processor (20) - config for LiFePo4?

Hi, I have an older MultiPlus Compact 12/2000 that came on my boat. I am in the process of upgrading / replacing my house batteries with LiFePo4 units, but the wiring arrangement depends on the inverter/charger capabilities.

1. I bought the Mk3-USB cable and used VictronConnect to communicate with the device. However it gives me an error that the firmware is too old. However checking the documentation, the older processor this has (number starts with 20) says that it can only output data to VictronConnect, and you can't update firmware or do anything else.

2. Is there another route to access the settings and/or configure this for LiFePo4 charging?

3. The manual says that I need VEConfigure to even change other settings, like the built in relay. How do I do this on these older devices? Do I need an old version of Windows software etc? An older connection dongle?

4. Do I need to worry? Some folks have told me that the default profiles on the Compact unit will charge LiFePo4 perfectly fine as-is. Is this something I can consider? The boat spends a lot of time plugged in, so this is the primary device charging the batteries.

Thanks!

battery chargingLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@simonGH

Since you bought it second hand you have no idea how it is programmed. It is likely to be default?

VE configure and Victron connect are two different programs. Connect only works on the newer units. So is not an option for you.

You will need to remove temperature compensation for lithium batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

It may be possible to upgrade the firmware with VE flash. However, I've found that VE Configure will work ok with the older firmware in the compact series inverters. This is free to download, and will run on any laptop.

Whilst most of the default settings are reasonably ok with Lithium batteries, you do want to make sure that 1) Equalisation is turned off and 2) The max Absorption voltage is ~ 100mV less than the battery maximum. Compact series inverters do not support assistants, so if your battery has a BMS with a relay output to disable charging, discharging etc, then these should be used with the inverter remote control input as wired or (make a loop with the relay contacts in series).

2 |3000