question

daniel-feist avatar image
daniel-feist asked

SmartShunt with no MPPT and single BMS?

Is there any reason to use a SmartShunt if I don't have any MPPTs and use a single BMS (multiple batteries)?

- Is there any data or statistics it would give me that isn't already being surfaced in the VRM using data from Multiplus and BMS?
- Would the accuracy of any figures already available, but potentially derived, improve?
- Is there any new functionality that my system would have if it incorporated a SmartShunt?

I have 3 x Multiplus II 5kVA (in three-phase configuration) and 2 x 14.3kWh Seplos batteries (in parallel and seen as one battery by Victron). No DC PV.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

As long as your BMS shunt measures accurately, then there is no need for an additional smart shunt - whether or not you have an MPPT. (The current from the MPPT would flow through the BMS shunt into the battery ).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daniel-feist avatar image daniel-feist commented ·
Thanks! How about understanding the actual capacity of the battery pack? I see the Multiplus doesn't give any stats around this, does the shunt (and associated software functionality) help with this?
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

For the capacity data you need to access the BMS data - if it is available.

https://www.seplos.com/seplos-24v-48v-150a-200a-7s-13s-14s-ncm-8s-15s-16s-lfp-battery-management-system-with-bluetooth-lcd-screen.html

is this what you have? if so, then the capacity data should be available either on the LCD or via bluetooth.

2 |3000