question

bradders avatar image
bradders asked

Neutral and earth bonding on Phoenix Inverter 12/500 VE.Direct - Eco mode problems

My camper has a 12/50 Phoenix VE.Direct inverter with an attached Bluetooth dongle. The 230v output goes to a single gang RCD socket via an auto relay, which switches from the inverter to the EHU when shore power is connected.

I have tried connecting the earth and neutral internally (moving the earth spade terminal in the inverter) and externally (at the relay and in the RCD socket and not necessarily at the same time), in order to obtain the correct neutral earth requirements on a socket tester, and so that the RCD will hopefully work.

If I don't join the earth and neutral, the socket tester shows that there is no earth which is not good and would probably mean that the RCD won't work as it's supposed to (although it tests okay whether the earth and neutral are joined or not).

However, in eco mode with earth and neutral joined, the inverter starts inverting and shows a load of approximately 12VA and regardless of whether or not there is a plug in the 230v output.

When I tried resetting everything to default settings via the app, the inverter started "searching" for about 2 minutes and I thought it had sorted itself out, but alas, it then went back to inverting. I have tried changing a number of the settings, but it has made no difference. Without joining earth and neutral, eco mode works fine.

I think that I either have some settings wrong or there is a defect with the inverter which would not be good as the unit is brand new.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to sort this or come across this issue before?

Thanks

Phoenix Inverterinverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Ok Like most small switch mode inverters, the Phoenix takes the input dc. and converts it to 380Vdc (assuming a 240v output) using a high frequency switch mode converter - these are small, light weight and efficient. This also avoids the use of a large heavy 50 Hz transformer, like the one used in the multiplus series. This high voltage is then chopped by a FET bridge - 4 FET's, using a similar topology to a class D audio amplifier. This means that both the Neutral and the Live are ACTIVE signals, and although there is an isolation barrier, these are expected to be symmetrical about ground. shorting the neutral to ground imposes the 114.7V half cycle signal across the isolation barrier, and the current flows asymmetrically through the emc suppression components. This is what gives rise to the 12VA load.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Try using an ac voltmeter to measure the neutral - earth and line-earth voltages from the Phoenix inverter in both inverting and eco mode AS it was ORIGINALLY wired i.e.no neutral earth bond. If you have significant N-E voltage, then you should not bond Neutral and earth on the inverter output or at the socket. reserve the RCD for use on external mains.

2 |3000

bradders avatar image
bradders answered ·

Hi @Mike Dorsett, thanks for getting back to me. I have measured the voltage between live and earth, and Neutral and earth and get 114.7v across each (230v inverter), so based on your advice, I should leave the earth and neutral unbonded and reserve the RCD for shore power. Are you able to explain your reasoning (for my own information more than anything)?

2 |3000

bradders avatar image
bradders answered ·

Thank you Mike, I'm grateful for your time and help

2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic